A Chattanoogan who was a leader in southern street and highway paving and also a contractor built an architectural beauty at 19 Prospect St. near the top of Cameron Hill in 1908.
Lawrence B. “Larry” West, president of West Construction Company, lived in the two-story house for about 10 years before moving to McCallie Avenue and then to Missionary Ridge.
The house was approached by a long set of concrete steps built over a low concrete wall. There were large arched windows to the front and sides of the house, taking advantage of the spectacular views. The second floor had an interesting design with four smaller windows in the center topped with a roof overhang and then a split roof above.
It was certainly different and less traditional than any house that had been built on Cameron Hill before.
The house faces east with a 100 foot frontage. It was “about the same elevation as Missionary Ridge in the middle of town and with great views. The first floor has the usual living rooms with hardwood floors and a large eastern porch enclosed in glass. Upstairs , there are five bedrooms, a lovely, well-equipped bathroom and large screened porch.A garage and servants quarters were at the western end of the plot accessed at ground level from a street on that side of the property .
The West Construction Company was at 1001-1007 Market St., and it featured concrete sidewalks, retaining walls, floors, fireproofing, foundations, asphalt floors and driveways, waterproofing, roofing, brewery works, ceramic mosaics and vitrified floor tiles, hearth and chimney tiles, enamel wall tiles, general contracting, water works, sewers and paving.
Larry West was previously at 517 Mabel St., as was company vice president E. Garth Billingsley. Lewis M. Coleman, a lawyer from Lookout Mountain, was secretary and Frank Conover was treasurer.
West sold the Cameron Hill house to Mrs. TF Phillips, who lived there until the mid-1920s. Mrs. Phillips in May 1923 advertised the house for sale. The ad stated that the owner had moved to Florida “is only here for a few weeks and has done a bargain price for a limited time, offering this property for $11,000 – $3,000 cash with one, two and three year balances. The parties Interested parties are urged to call us promptly and arrange for after inspection as this property will be offered for two weeks only. Then, if not sold, it will be rented out.” The The Longley family took advantage of the bargain price. Fuller M. Longley, a traveling salesman, lived there before moving to Signal Mountain. Mrs. MS Longley then lived in the West house. She regularly rented the second floor.
By then the street name had been changed from Prospect to Boynton Terrace and the new address was 319.
By 1945, Larry West’s interesting design on Cameron Hill had been divided into four apartments. He died in 1957 and was not there to see his creation knocked to the ground.