Henolux owner Fatema Amin gets bail in contractor suicide case


Fatema Amin, director of manufacturing company Henolux, has secured High Court bail in a case relating to the death by suicide of entrepreneur Anisur Rahman aka Gazi Anis.

Judge Md Habibul Gani and Judge Mohammad Showkat Ali Chowdhury granted him bail on Monday.

Fatema is the wife of Nurul Amin, CEO of Henolux Group, reports bdnews24.com.

Barrister Ruhul Quddus Kajol accompanied by Md Akhtar Rasul presented the bail plea in court while Deputy Attorney General MA Kamrul Hasan Khan Aslam opposed the petition.

Fatema will be out on bail until charges are filed, according to Akhtar.

After the hearing, DAG Aslam said, “We argued that the victim was forced to pay millions of taka at the instigation of Fatema Amin and therefore should not be released on bail.

“However, the court took into account that she was a woman and granted her bail with that in mind. We will challenge the decision.”

Anis, 50, was a former chairman of the Kushtia district unit of the Bangladesh Chhatra League.

As part of his work as an entrepreneur, a company owed him 12.6 million taka, but the company refused to pay the dues. After several unfulfilled demands, a frustrated Anis set himself on fire outside the National Press Club in Dhaka on July 4 in a bid to end his life.

Anis was rushed to the Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Plastic and Burn Surgery. He died the following day.

Md Ali, the man who took Anis to hospital, said the contractor told him on the way that Henolux owed him money.

Later, his family filed a complaint against Nurul Amin, Managing Director of Henolux and his wife Fatema, accusing them of causing Anis’ death by suicide.

The Rapid Action Battalion arrested the couple in the capital’s Uttara on July 5.

Prior to his death, Anis held a press conference at the National Press Club in Dhaka and alleged that he had been “deceived” by Henolux Group after investing in the company.

He reiterated the claim in a Facebook post two days later on May 31, while emphasizing his relationship with the group’s owner, Amin.

In the case regarding his death, Anis’ brother Nazrul Islam said Anis became close to Amin and his wife Fatema in 2016. They also traveled abroad together.

In 2018, the couple asked Anis to invest in the business, promising her a share of its profits.

According to Nazrul, Anis first invested Tk 10 million in the business and then an additional Tk 2.6 million which he had borrowed from a friend.

A preliminary agreement was signed on Anis’ investment, but the couple delayed finalizing the deal.

Amin threatened Anis and tried to blackmail him when Anis tried to collect the funds, Nazrul alleged.

Anis then took legal action against them in Kushtia, demanding 300 million taka, including a share of the company’s profits.

Amin and Fatema called Anis and promised to reimburse him before finally refusing to do so, depending on the case.

Nazrul said the refusal to pay and the behavior of Amin and Fatema led Anis to commit suicide.


Comments are closed.